Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Overland Park
Bike Accident Lawyers Serving the Kansas City Area
Suffering from a bicycle accident is a traumatic experience, but at the Law Office of Tom Wagstaff Jr., LLC in Overland Park, we are committed to helping you understand your legal options to pursue justice and compensation. Our team takes pride in offering a personal approach, dedicating the necessary time and attention to each client's case, so you never feel like you’re in over your head or overlooked. We aim to simplify the process of filing a bicycle accident claim, providing you with clear, friendly guidance that you can count on, even if your case is headed for courtroom litigation.
Did someone hit you while you were riding your bike? Call our Overland Park bicycle accident attorneys at (816) 597-4556 now to request a free initial case review.
- Heirship Dispute
- Nursing Home Elopement
- Nursing Home Elopement
- Motor Vehicle Collision
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Kansas City
Bicycle accidents can occur for a variety of reasons, with the majority stemming from the negligence of motorists, not bicyclists. Our legal team has the resources and experience to handle all types of bicycle accident cases, including those that require litigation. We are committed to seeking justice for local bicyclists who have been unfairly injured due to others' carelessness or recklessness.
Four common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- Driver inattention: Driver inattention is a leading cause of bicycle accidents in Kansas City and many other cities across the country. Many drivers fail to notice bicyclists on the road, particularly when they are distracted by mobile devices or other activities while driving.
- Driver recklessness: A driver who is operating their vehicle recklessly, or at high speeds, poses a significant risk to bicyclists. The higher the speed, the less time a driver has to react to a bicyclist on the road.
- Driver refusal to share the road: Some drivers do not respect the rights of bicyclists to share the road. This refusal can lead to dangerous situations where bicyclists are squeezed into tight spaces or forced off the road entirely.
- Poor road construction: In areas where there are no bicycle lanes or the roads are poorly designed, bicyclists are at a higher risk of being involved in an accident. Poorly maintained roads with potholes or debris can also be hazardous for bicyclists.
“He worked hard on our behalf and we reached a positive conclusion.” - Lori D.
“Tom gives lawyers a good name.” - Donna J.
“Tom and his firm are great people!” - Brad
Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle accidents often result in severe injuries, given the minimal protection that a bicycle provides against the force of a collision. The consequences of these accidents can be life-altering, leading to significant physical and emotional trauma. Our Overland Park bicycle accident lawyers can work closely with medical experts to fully comprehend the extent of our clients' injuries and any resulting permanent disabilities. This comprehensive understanding aids us in effectively advocating for the compensation our clients need to cover their medical expenses and other damages.
Six common injuries suffered by bicyclists in accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Facial and dental injuries
- Internal injuries
- Road rash
Proving Liability in a Bicycle Accident Claim
At the Law Office of Tom Wagstaff Jr., LLC, we have extensive resources we can use to thoroughly investigate the scene of a bicycle accident. This process often involves collecting and preserving crucial evidence, such as photographs of the scene, testimonies from witnesses, police reports, and video footage if available. Our team can meticulously review all this material to gather facts that can establish fault in the accident.
Our firm's solid reputation allows us to collaborate effectively with third-party experts who can provide additional valuable insights and evidence that further support your case. This could include accident reconstruction specialists who can reenact the collision to illustrate how it occurred, or medical experts who can testify on the nature and extent of your injuries. This collaborative approach enhances our ability to prove liability in a bicycle accident claim, putting your case in a stronger position during litigation or settlement negotiations.
Do Bicyclists Have the Right-of-Way?
Bicyclists in the Kansas City area, do not always have the right-of-way. Bicyclists on public streets and highways have the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicle operators, meaning they must follow the same traffic rules. This includes yielding the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection. Knowing the right-of-way rules for bicyclists is crucial when you’re riding your bike and when evaluating liability for a bicycle accident.
What Damages Can You Claim?
While no amount of financial compensation can undo the trauma of a bicycle accident, it can significantly alleviate the burden of recovery. The funds you receive can cover medical bills, compensate for lost income, and provide for future needs arising from your injuries. We understand the importance of financial security after a cycling accident and are determined to secure maximum compensation for you. If that means taking the case to court to fight for a fair award, we are prepared to go that extra mile.
The types of damages that can be claimed in a bicycle accident lawsuit usually include:
- Past and future medical costs: This includes expenses for emergency care, hospitalization, surgery, medication, physical therapy, and any anticipated future medical needs related to the accident.
- Lost wages: Compensation for the income you lost because you were unable to work due to your injuries.
- Reduced future income capacity: If your injuries have affected your ability to earn income in the future, you may be compensated for this diminished earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: This covers the physical pain and emotional distress you've experienced as a result of the accident.
Start with a Free Case Review – Call Now
Navigating a bicycle accident claim can be complex and challenging, but you don't have to deal with it on your own—and you shouldn’t. Get our dedicated and experienced Overland Park bicycle accident attorneys on your side, so we can guide you every step of the way. We understand the financial, physical, and emotional toll that such accidents can take, and we are committed to fighting for justice on your behalf. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident in the Kansas City area, don't hesitate to reach out to us for a free initial consultation.
Want to talk to a cycling accident lawyer directly? Just call (816) 597-4556.