Overland Park Burn Injury Lawyer
Representing People with Severe Burns in the Kansas City Area
At the Law Office of Tom Wagstaff Jr., we focus on representing clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries, such as severe burn injuries. A third-degree burn injury can be devastating, causing not only physical pain and emotional trauma but also leading to significant financial burdens due to medical bills and lost wages. As legal professionals with decades of experience at our backs, our team of Overland Park burn injury attorneys is committed to advocating for the rights of burn victims and their families and fighting for the compensation they deserve. By handling the complexities of high-stakes claims and lawsuits, we empower our clients to focus on their recovery while we diligently work to hold negligent parties accountable.
How Do Severe Burn Injuries Happen?
Severe burn injuries can occur under a variety of circumstances, often due to someone's negligence or mistakes. When such painful accidents happen, it's crucial to have a dedicated legal team like the one at the Law Office of Tom Wagstaff Jr. by your side. We are well-versed in handling cases involving diverse scenarios that lead to burn injuries, so you can trust that we will know how to move your case forward.
Burn injuries can be caused by the following and more:
- Fires: Residential, commercial, or industrial fires can result from faulty wiring, inadequate safety measures, or poor maintenance.
- Chemical burns: These burns can occur in laboratories, factories, or other workplaces where dangerous chemicals are used without proper safety equipment or precautions. Unsafe cleaning products sold to the general public can also cause serious chemical burns.
- Scalding: A scald is a burn caused by hot liquids or steam and can happen due to high-temperature fluids built up in kitchen or laundry appliances.
- Electrical burns: An electrical burn injury can be caused by defective products, inadequate safety measures in the workplace, or poorly maintained electrical infrastructure.
Degrees of Burn Injuries
The Overland Park burn injury lawyers at the Law Office of Tom Wagstaff Jr. can work closely with medical experts to understand the full extent and severity of your burn injury. This approach ensures we can build a robust case that acknowledges just how much your life has and will likely continue to change due to the burn injury. The higher the degree of the burn, the more likely it will cause permanent consequences or disabilities.
Burn injuries are sorted into degrees, including:
- First-degree burns are the least severe, affecting only the outer layer of the skin, or the epidermis. Symptoms include redness, minor inflammation, and pain. In-home care is often enough to treat this type of burn.
- Second-degree burns extend to the second layer of the skin, or the dermis, causing blisters and severe pain. They may result in scarring and require weeks to heal. Urgent medical attention should be given to the burn patient.
- Third-degree burns destroy tissues under the skin, potentially destroying muscles, tendons, and nerves. Emergency medical attention is required. Third-degree burns can be fatal if untreated or if they cause an infection.
- Fourth-degree burns (and higher) are deeply destructive burns that often prove fatal unless emergency medical care is immediately given.
- Heirship Dispute
- Nursing Home Elopement
- Nursing Home Elopement
- Motor Vehicle Collision
Calculating the Damages Owed to You
Our Overland Park burn injury lawyers are meticulous in our approach to calculating damages in burn injury cases. Our goal is to ensure that any compensation awarded is both maximized and accurate, reflecting the full extent of the physical, emotional, and financial impact on your life and livelihood. While we strive to negotiate settlements whenever possible, we are prepared to litigate aggressively in court if necessary to secure the justice you deserve now more than ever.
When it comes to compensation, there are two key concepts to understand:
- Past damages: These encompass all costs and losses incurred from the time of the injury up to the present. This can include medical bills, lost wages due to time off work, and physical and emotional pain and suffering you have endured.
- Future damages: These are projected costs and losses that you are likely to incur in the future as a result of the burn injury. This could include ongoing medical treatment, rehabilitation costs, future lost earnings if the victim is unable to return to work, and long-term pain and suffering.
“He worked hard on our behalf and we reached a positive conclusion.” - Lori D.
“Tom gives lawyers a good name.” - Donna J.
“Tom and his firm are great people!” - Brad
Schedule a Free Case Review – Call Today
As you face the challenges brought on by a burn injury, remember that you are not alone. The dedicated team of burn injury lawyers of the Law Office of Tom Wagstaff Jr. in Overland Park is prepared to stand by your side, offering legal guidance and support at every turn. We can work diligently to seek justice on your behalf, ensuring that your rights are protected and respected throughout the legal processes. Let us help you take the first steps toward securing the compensation you deserve and rebuilding your life after a burn injury.
Don't hesitate to reach out to us for a free consultation. Call (816) 597-4556 today.